Select Page

China’s Huazhu Hotels Group to expand into upscale segments

by | 05 Feb 2020 | Chains

Huazhu plans on doubling down on midscale and luxury segment. 

China’s Huazhu Hotels Group has ambitious plans for 2020 and beyond which include expanding footprints in the mid and upscale segments.

Chinese hotel group Huazhu has big expansion plans for the next five years and its vision involves expanding its portfolio of midscale and luxury brands.

We find out more.

Huazhu on an upward trajectory

Chinese hotel group Huazhu is hitting the big time this decade, with huge plans for expansion across several sectors.

Huazhu already has a solid back catalogue of economy brands, but their vision for the future involves getting a stronger foothold in the midscale and luxury segments of the hospitality market.

The company hit a milestone recently with 5,000 hotels under their belt, and it plans to get to 10,000 within the next five years.

Statistics for the beginning of the year showed that Huazhu’s bread and butter segment, the economy range of brands, now only accounts for 37% of its stock, while the remaining 63% of its pipeline is made up of mid and upscale hotels.

A finger in every pie

The company made a shrewd move last year with the acquisition of Deutsche Hospitality. Buying the organisation gave Huazhu “rich brand platforms in each segment up to the luxury and upper-upscale segments,” according to Huazhu founder Ji Qi, laying the foundations for the Chinese hotel group to further expand into these markets.

Bolstered by this potential expansion, this year Huazhu is set to grow its portfolio of hotels by around 1,700, which will build on the company’s addition of over 450 hotels in the final quarter of 2019.

The acquisition of Deutsche Hospitality means that now 96% of Huazhu’s stock can be found in China, and 79% of the group’s luxury and upscale stock can be attributed to the acquisition.

Huazhu also has a franchise agreement with Accor for the Grand Mercure, Novotel, Mercure, Ibis and Ibis Styles brands, so it is keeping its options open when it comes to every facet of its business.

A fast learning curve

Ji Qi said, “With Huazhu’s strong position in the midscale and economy segments, I’m now thinking to capture the opportunity, as the next wave for the luxury and upscale segment. I think it will take an even longer time for us to build a new luxury and upscale brand from scratch. Because these brands require richer stories and service qualities, that’s why we choose to enrich our luxury and upscale brand portfolio through acquisition.”

“This will help to shorten our own learning period, and we will benefit from the new perspective of our employees in a newly-acquired business. Our recently announced acquisition of Deutsche Hospitality is a perfect service fit for our luxury and upscale brands,” Ji Qi elaborated.

ABOUT THE CHAIN

The unique and varied Deutsche Hospitality portfolio includes the Steigenberger Hotels and Resorts, Jaz in the City, and IntercityHotels. Deutsche Hospitality was sold to chinese group Huazhu 2019.

SHARE THE NEWS

[tweetshareinline tweet=”China’s Huazhu Hotels Group has ambitious plans for #2020 and beyond which include #expanding footprints in the mid and upscale segments. ” username=”tophotelnews”]

MORE NEWS

 

Land of the Rising Sun welcomes two new Wyndham hotels [Construction Report]
Covid19 hotel development analysis: Jin Jiang [Infographic]
Covid19 hotel development analysis: The Indian Hotels Company [Infographic]
Covid19 hotel development analysis: Minor Hotels [Infographic]
Covid19 hotel development analysis: Emaar Hospitality Group [Infographic]
InterContinental to make a comeback in Rome [Construction Report]
Covid19 hotel development analysis: Tauzia Hotel Management [Infographic]
LEVA Hotels agrees partnership to support US expansion plan
Covid19 hotel development analysis: Deutsche Hospitality [Infographic]
CityHub secures backing to accelerate international rollout
Covid19 hotel development analysis: The Ascott [Infographic]
Six Senses announces Italian debut [Infographic]
Covid19 hotel development analysis: Novum Hospitality [Infographic]
The Thrash Group agrees landmark deal with Charlestowne Hotels
Brand overview: Four Points by Sheraton to add over 15,000 rooms [Infographic]
Covid19 hotel development analysis: Dusit International [Infographic]
Dream Hotels lines up Cleveland debut
Covid19 hotel development analysis: Choice Hotels International [Infographic]
Covid19 hotel development analysis: Meliá Hotels International [Infographic]
The Langham set for Gold Coast launch in 2021 [Infographic]

FIND HOTEL PROJECTS AND KEY DECISION-MAKERS

With the online database TOPHOTELCONSTUCTION you will have access to +6,000 hotel projects and all relevant decision-maker contacts.

LEARN MORE

Pin It on Pinterest