Top 20 most-read stories of 2020: Development continues despite pandemic
Our most-read stories of 2020 roundup spans Accor’s ambitious expansion plans, a megatall skyscraper in Jeddah and Rosewood’s record development slate – plus a host of Covid-related articles.
There’s never been a year quite like this one.
While 2020 started positively for most hoteliers, the situation quickly deteriorated as Covid19 spread with breathtaking speed around the world, forcing country after country to impose draconian lockdowns and travel bans to keep the virus in check. In the short term, while the pandemic left hospitality industry professionals having to confront some extraordinary obstacles, they rose to the challenge admirably.
Assessing the fallout from Covid19
Longer term, plenty of commentators have warned that the sector may contract sharply as a result of the global health emergency. Perhaps there’s some truth in this, but despite all the doom and gloom, it’s worth pointing out there are still thousands of hotel projects being progressed globally.
To support the recovery, TOPHOTELNEWS has been closely following how the sector is responding, reporting on new planning applications, construction updates and openings daily, while also producing exclusive data-led features examining the state of the industry, the development ambitions of the world’s top hotel groups and profiles of the most eye-catching schemes around – and we’ll continue to do so throughout 2021 and beyond.
Top 20 most-read stories of 2020
In a year dominated by Covid19, here are the 20 stories that generated the most page views on our site in 2020.
- Group overview: Accor plans to grow footprint by 100,000 rooms
- Project of the Week: Jeddah Tower – Four Seasons Hotel
- Rosewood Hotel Group reports a record 32 projects under development
- Group overview: Hyatt to add 333 new hotels
- Group overview: Hilton to grow by nearly 800 hotels
- Project of the Week: New W Sydney is set to impress
- Brand overview: Marriott planning 110 hotel projects globally
- 188 hotels scheduled to open in May 2020 despite Covid19
- January 2020 hotel openings: Some 50,000 new rooms slated to open
- Design will help hotels problem-solve their way to a post-Covid future
- Brand overview: 65 new openings coming up for Hyatt Regency
- Covid19 impact roundup: How Hilton is setting a positive example
- Results are in: Accor reveals Covid19 impact for Q1 2020
- Covid19 impact roundup: How Hyatt is demonstrating leadership
- Covid19 hotel development analysis: Marriott International
- Covid19 hotel development analysis: Hilton Worldwide
- Covid19 hotel development analysis: Selina
- Q4 2020 Covid development update: Marriott International
- Revealed: The world’s top five cities for hotel development
- Country overview: 43,000 new hotel rooms coming to Vietnam
Click here to read our 2020 most-read stories series in full: Development continues despite pandemic | Marriott International | Hilton Worldwide | Accor | IHG | Hyatt Hotels Corporation | Radisson Hotel Group