Live event boom boosts Bangkok hotel development

Pictured: rendering of Six Senses Forestias.
Thai capital Bangkok is reaping the benefits of major concerts’ return, which in turn is spiking requirements for additional accommodation capacity.

According to southeast Asia-based travel app, Traveloka, the high demand for live music from the region’s growing youth population has already pushed Bangkok hotel bookings up 30% in H1 2023.

Capital majority

With international artists including Harry Styles, Arctic Monkeys and Blackpink stopping by the capital city in the first six months of the year, Traveloka’s Thailand arm reported that the majority of its significant number of bookings were for Bangkok.

Top inbound tourist countries were China, Taiwan, Indonesia, Vietnam, UK, Singapore, Malaysia and Cambodia.

Growing hotel pipeline

The trend shows no signs of slowing, with Coldplay, Charlie Puth and Sam Smith all scheduled for Bangkok gigs, so it is no wonder that the city’s high end hotel pipeline is growing too.

Looking at the latest THP data, at least 44 upper segment sites comprising 11,250 rooms are heading to the Thai metropolis in the next few years, representing a 2% key total uptick in the last 12 months.

Significant investment

In fact, nearly US$1.4 billion of upscale and luxury accommodation investment will imminently enhance the city’s hotel footprint. This breaks down as 57%/25 sites in the four star category, with the remaining 43% (19 hotels) being five stars.

A total of 33 projects, 75% of the high end pipeline, are newbuilds, with seven refurbishments and four conversions completing the construction types.

Next year zenith

2024 is currently the peak for high end hotel deliveries, with 12 expected, and another 10 following in 2025. For the rest of this year and in 2026, five projects are due to complete in each period. The remaining 12 records are either scheduled to conclude further in the future or have yet to be designated a delivery date.

This timeframe is reflected in the reported project phases, with 25 sites under construction and a further five at a pre-opening stage, as compared to 10 in planning and four in pre-planning.

Brand plans

In terms of the major hotel groups, IHG Hotels & Resorts heads the list of those planning Bangkok additions, with at least eight sites underway, closely followed by Marriott International, on a minimum of seven. Hilton Worldwide makes the podium with at least four additions slated.

For individual hard brands, Marriott’s The Ritz-Carlton luxury line tops the ranking with at least three upcoming projects. On a minimum of pair apiece are IHG’s Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts and voco hotels, as well as Hilton’s Hilton Garden Inn.

Ones to watch

One of the major IHG projects is Six Senses Forestias, part of a revolutionary forest city on the outskirts of Bangkok which aims to provide a healthier living template in Thailand. The site is slated to house 85 boutique and crafted rooms that are layered in nine floors above a green and lush podium, with delivery scheduled for Q4 2025.

On Marriott’s slate is JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Asiatique Bangkok, located at Asiatique The Riverfront. In Q1 2027, the 1,000-key site is expected to deliver a mindfulness haven to the Thai capital, set on the Chao Phraya River. Featuring functional meeting spaces, and a Spa by JW, the hotel will cater to sophisticated, mindful travellers and provide a luxury haven for guests.