Hilton’s Home2 Suites tops 10,000 development keys

Pictured: rendering of Home2 Suites by Hilton Markham. Imagery courtesy of API Development Consultants.
Home2 Suites by Hilton, the Hilton Worldwide group’s all-suite extended stay brand, is set to maintain its status as one of the firm’s fastest growing lines.

The upper midscale marque will be welcoming a minimum of 10,101 keys within 75 sites over the next few years, according to the latest THP information.

Extensive expansion

Already Home2 Suites by Hilton has surpassed 600 sites globally, reaching 635 operating hotels of 68,191 rooms collectively as of end Q3 2023.

Adding in the developments recorded in the THP database, this would mean a 12% site expansion and 15% by key count over the coming years.

Brand concept

Launched in 2009, the brand aims to  serve travellers looking for comfort, flexibility, and affordable lodging, often for more than seven days at a time.

The home-away-from-home experience involves stylish accommodations with flexible guestroom configurations and home-like amenities, including in-suite kitchens, integrated fitness and laundry areas for cost-conscious guests and their pets.

Committed to environmentally friendly products and hotel operations, Home2 Suites by Hilton sites also typically feature multiple outdoor spaces, 24-hour business centres and expansive community spaces.

Locational snapshot

The line is currently very much concentrated in the USA, with footprint figures from Q3 stating that 93% of operating sites (587 hotels) and 90% of rooms (61,449 keys) are concentrated in the country.

Asia Pacific comprises just 6% of properties, equivalent to 39 hotels, and 9% of keys, that’s a total of 5,791. The rest of the Americas outside the US make up the last 1% of both sites and keys, with nine hotels containing 951 rooms.

Geographical prospects

If we look at THP database entries for the brand, we see American dominance continuing, though not at quite such a high level. Upcoming North American developments number 58, representing 77% of our records, with Asia hosting the remaining 17 hotels/23%.

Once again the USA is top, with at least 56 projects underway – that’s three quarters of this pipeline. All Asian entries are in China, while the remaining two sites are set for Canada. Within the US, the states of Tennessee and Florida look to be the development hotbeds, with a minimum of six each, with California and Texas sharing the runner-up spot on four apiece.

Nearly all new

Almost all of the THP records are newbuilds, with 73 on our books, as against just one conversion and one refurbishment project.

Completions look to be fairly steady, with the current peak being 2024, on at least 24 deliveries. A further 14 are expected in 2025, with another nine in 2026. Two more are planned to open by the end of this year, while the remaining 26 have yet to be designated a delivery date.

Around 32% of these entries are under construction, equating to 24 hotels, plus a further five in pre-opening. However, more are in planning, that’s 27 sites, while 18 are in pre-planning and the remaining one is at a vision stage.

Major schemes

One of the small number of Canadian developments in the offing is Home2 Suites by Hilton Markham in Ontario. The 120-key site will feature a spacious 268 sq m lobby with areas to work, play games, eat or lounge; a build-your-own complimentary ‘Top It’ breakfast bar that has 30 sweet and savoury toppings; and a fitness centre that leverages the latest fitness trends through barre, TRX bands, free weights, cardio and flexibility gear. Delivery is scheduled for Q1 2026.

Meanwhile in the US, one major scheme is Home2 Suites New York City Times Square in the heart of New York City’s tourist hub. The 288-room hotel will open in February 2024 with amenities including restaurants, lounges, coffee shops, exercise rooms, select meeting spaces, laundry facilities and a shared rooftop lounge.