Wood Couture celebrates gender equality in hospitality
On our Wood Couture Podcast, we spoke to some amazing women leaders about the quest for gender equality in the hospitality industry. We asked them about their views and what they perceive their industry is doing to encourage it.
Over the past years, the hospitality industry has evolved significantly, particularly concerning women and gender equality. As the industry grows and globalises, women have more opportunities to play active and rewarding roles within the workplace.
However, when it comes to promotions and advancing in their careers, women in the hospitality industry still face gender inequality obstacles.
We were fortunate enough to speak with some of the most successful and inspiring female leaders in the hospitality industry. We interviewed them on women’s empowerment and equality in the workplace. Here’s what they had to say:
- An advocate for gender equality, motivating and inspiring women for success, Emma Burdett is the founder and CEO of Women In Leadership Deliver (WILD), a platform which brings women together, allowing them to connect, collaborate and conquer. When asked about Emma’s opinion on gender equality, she mentions that having equality in the boardroom results in higher returns and that, according to McKinsey, it could add up to US$12 trillion to global GDP (gross domestic product).
- The founder and creative director of Brand Creative, based in Dubai, Carla Conte offers the region’s most engaging and results-driven branding, interior design and graphics services. Carla says gender equality is a vast area of concern. She considers herself to be fortunate enough to get some of the best opportunities. Additionally, she likes working with the right-skilled individuals regardless of their gender, which she believes is the right kind of equality.
- ENVI Lodges is a luxury experiential brand and hospitality management company. Noelle Homsy is one of the co-founders of ENVI Lodges. Noelle says she avoids over-analysing the issue of gender equality in business. She has worked in typically male-dominated environments, but Noelle feels that receiving the necessary support to match her hard work is why she has achieved her goals.
- Vera Dieckmann is the founder and CEO of the renowned interior and product design firm XO Atelier. XO Atelier provides clients with the assistance and focused services they require, driven by an intrinsic desire to find Vera’s unique direction. Vera says that although more and more women are at the forefront of the design industry, it is still fundamentally male-dominated from the leaders to the decision-makers. She says that women need to work harder to rise to the top and feels that the individual’s blend of skills and hard work is more significant than gender. She also believes that women need to support women constantly.
- Jana Bader is general manager at Bench Events, based in Saudi Arabia, delivering business forums and conferences in Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Latin America. She describes the changes in Saudi Arabia regarding gender equality as one of the most significant social shifts, from women not allowed to drive to women currently working alongside men in every field, taking on more and more leadership roles in various industries.
- Kristina Zanic is CEO of Kristina Zanic Consultants, an iconic design studio that masterfully infuses creative experiences in every project. She believes in equality and feels that women should fight for what they want. ‘We certainly have limitations as women, but if you work hard on your goals, your gender cannot stop you,’ says Kristina.
There’s no doubt that gender equality in business is still a massive area of concern and focus. We use the term gender equality, but it needs to be true to its meaning.
Even though more women are going into business today than ever before, the real challenge is that the support structures needed for women aren’t enough. A company can achieve true gender equality by realising and acknowledging gender biases.
Poalo Della Casa wins award for Entrepreneur of the Year (Silver Category)
Wood Couture founder Paolo Della Casa was Hospitality Excellence:- Entrepreneur of the Year (Silver Category) at the Hospitality Excellence Awards, Dubai. The Hospitality Excellence Awards acknowledges leading industry organisations that have demonstrated skill, creativity, innovation and success in the Middle East, India and North Africa’s growing hospitality sector. Wood Couture remains determined to push the bounds of the norm through innovation, technology and extensive experience in project dynamics.
ABOUT THE SUPPLIER
Wood Couture is a 21st-century supplier with a mission of manufacturing and delivering quality at the right price. The brand was born in 2017 from the restructuring of a two-generation family business carrying 27 years’ experience in custom-made furniture for the hospitality and high-end residential sector from Italy and Miami to the Middle East.