Covid19 hotel development analysis: AMResorts [Infographic]

by | 31 Aug 2020 | Chains

Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa in Mexico has 486 rooms and nine dining experiences (Picture: AMResorts)

We consider what the future holds for AMResorts and its bulging development pipeline, with help from the TOPHOTELPROJECTS construction database, as the coronavirus crisis continues to play havoc across the hospitality sector.

Luxury resort companies like AMResorts rely on customers being able to travel to their chosen destinations with the minimum of hassle, so the imposition of sweeping Covid-related restrictions and lockdowns around the world has unquestionably had an enormous impact on its operations.

Founded in 2001, AMResorts now has approximately 70 properties across Latin America and Spain, and the Pennsylvania-based outfit has a particularly strong presence in Mexico and the Caribbean. The business – whose brands include the likes of Zoëtry, Secrets, Breathless, Dreams, Now, Sunscape and Alua – is a subsidiary of hospitality company Apple Leisure Group, which was acquired by KKR and KSL Capital Partners in 2017.

Here, we review the figures in our database to try and draw a picture of how AMResorts’ development pipeline is shaping up in these unprecedented times.

Sweet dreams for AMResorts as development continues apace

The TOPHOTELPROJECTS construction database reports that AMResorts has 18 schemes in progress as of 13 August 2020, with three more on hold and none cancelled.

Almost half of these active projects relate to just one brand, Dreams, which promises to provide a high level of luxury to couples and couples with children via resorts in idyllic beachfront settings. By way of comparison, Breathless and Secrets each have three schemes on the go, Zoëtry has two, and Now and Sunscape both have one:

Plenty of new luxury resorts on the horizon

Amid all the doom and gloom surrounding the Covid19 crisis, it’s worth noting that 85% of AMResorts’ existing pipeline is still progressing through to completion. What’s more, we ought to point out that the remaining 15% have not necessarily stalled because of the pandemic, since there are countless other reasons why projects may temporarily come to a halt, ranging from funding gaps and planning disputes to construction issues and personnel changes.

The key point is this: AMResorts is continuing to build the vast majority of its projects, suggesting that one of the world’s largest luxury resort companies remains confident travellers will be ready and able to return to Mexico and the Caribbean sooner rather than later.

Many TOPHOTELNEWS articles draw on exclusive information contained in the TOPHOTELPROJECTS construction database. This subscription-based product includes the details of thousands of hotel projects around the world, along with the key decision-makers behind them. Please note, our data may differ from the records held by other organisations. Generally, the database focuses on four- and five-star schemes of significant scale; tracks active projects in either the vision, pre-planning, planning, under-construction, pre-opening or newly opened phase; and covers new builds, extensions, refurbishment and conversions.

Learn more

ABOUT THE CHAIN

AMResorts is the fastest growing luxury leisure company in all of North America, with upscale resorts located throughout Mexico, Jamaica and the Dominican Republic.

MORE NEWS

 

Dusit opens first property under new ASAI Hotels brand
Hyatt adds spectacular Hawaii resort to portfolio [Infographic]
Group overview: Minor Hotels to grow its portfolio by nearly 13,000 rooms [Infographic]
Covid19 hotel development analysis: Fattal Hotel Group [Infographic]
Covid19 hotel development analysis: Swiss-Belhotel International [Infographic]
Brand overview: 65 new openings coming up for Hyatt Regency
Highway West Vacations hails launch of boutique hotel duo
Deutsche Hospitality’s CEO to step down
Dusit International reveals plans to expand rapidly across India
Covid19 hotel development analysis: Central Hospitality International [Infographic]
Group overview: Hilton to grow by nearly 800 hotels [Construction Report]
Shangri-La Group unveils The Moon Residence in Kunming
Scandic’s chief portfolio officer to leave company
Cambria opens new hotels in California and Maryland
Aimbridge added over 40 properties since March, company reveals
Brand overview: Fairfield Inn & Suites to add 10,000 rooms
Covid19 hotel development analysis: Dream Hotel Group [Infographic]
Covid19 hotel development analysis: AMResorts [Infographic]
Covid19 hotel development analysis: Scandic
Renovation work completed on two Tapestry Collection hotels

FIND HOTEL PROJECTS AND KEY DECISION-MAKERS

With the online database TOPHOTELCONSTUCTION you will have access to +6,000 hotel projects and all relevant decision-maker contacts.

LEARN MORE

Pin It on Pinterest