Preferred reveals new sustainability-focused brand Beyond Green
&Beyond Bateleur Camp in Kenya is one of Beyond Green’s founding members
Owned and operated by Preferred Hotel Group, Beyond Green is guided by a passion to transform travel as a force for good, and boasts 24 founding members.
The new Beyond Green brand aims to shine a light on properties that exemplify sustainability tourism leadership.
A trailblazing ecotourism project
Born through a natural synergy between the owners of Preferred Hotel Group and eco-tourism pioneer Costas Christ – the founder of Beyond Green Travel, which Preferred acquired in February 2020 – Beyond Green hopes to cater to the rapidly rising demand for properties that lead the way in sustainability. The brand’s name was chosen in recognition of the importance of environmentally friendly practices and the responsibility that the tourism industry has towards protecting cultural heritage, community and biodiversity.
The new hospitality brand is making its debut with a portfolio of founding member properties, which support Preferred’s commitment to building a brighter future for travel through helping to protect the planet. Each of these resorts, hotels and lodges is committed to delivering on three key pillars: environmentally friendly practices that go beyond the basics; protection of natural and cultural heritage; and contributing to the social and economic wellbeing of local communities.
“Never before has there been a greater need to promote a kinder and gentler way to explore our beautiful, yet fragile planet,” said Lindsey Ueberroth, CEO of Preferred Hotel Group. “Driven by our brand promise, Believe in Travel, which guides every decision we make as a company, we believe that now is the time to go big and be bold as we look to the future of travel.
“We are humbled by the opportunity to partner with so many inspiring leaders in sustainable tourism to launch our newest brand, Beyond Green, that was built with purpose, gratitude, and respect for nature, communities, and culture.”
“While there may be a tendency to think of sustainability as just the latest travel buzzword, its roots are long and deep. What we are witnessing is an evolution of travel, not a passing trend,” added Christ.
“Beyond Green is about reconnecting with our common humanity and understanding that the diversity of our cultures and different ways of life are what create the rich fabric that makes travel so enjoyable and fascinating. In that same context, nature brings inspiration and renewal to our lives. Sustainable tourism is not about giving something up, it is about gaining something more – a great vacation that it is also a force for good.”
An exceptional launch portfolio
Beyond Green is celebrating its launch with 24 founding members across 15 countries. These range from renowned lodges such as &Beyond Sossusvlei Desert Lodge and Wilderness Safaris DumaTau Camp to historic landmarks like Ashford Castle and island resorts such as Islas Secas.
The Beyond Green platform supports each of its members through global connectivity, distribution technology, marketing and sales, branding and sustainability solutions. Properties also have access to the ‘I Prefer Hotel Rewards’ loyalty programme. In addition, Beyond Green will enhance the visibility of its portfolio through the Stay Beyond Green website, which has just been rolled out prior to the brand’s official consumer launch in Q1 2021.
Prospective new members will need to demonstrate leadership in the brand’s three key pillars. Part of the rigorous vetting process is to meet more than 50 indicators, which align with global sustainable tourism standards and the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals. These requirements form part of an ongoing, biennial onsite inspection process
Beyond Green is owned and operated by Preferred. To help build the brand through a combination of storytelling and sustainability stewardship, the group has enlisted the support of two agencies, Robert Louey Design and Spherical.
Here are Beyond Green’s 24 founding members:
- &Beyond Bateleur Camp (Masai Mara National Reserve, Kenya)
- &Beyond Mnemba Island (Zanzibar, Tanzania)
- &Beyond Sossusvlei Desert Lodge (Namib Desert, Namibia)
- Aristi Mountain Resort (Zagori, Greece)
- Ashford Castle (Co. Mayo, Ireland)
- Bentwood Inn (Jackson Hole, Wyoming, USA)
- Blancaneaux Lodge (Mountain Pine Ridge, Belize)
- Borgo Pignano (Tuscany, Italy)
- Bushmans Kloof (Western Cape, South Africa)
- Cavallo Point (Sausalito, California, USA)
- InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa (Bora Bora, French Polynesia)
- Islas Secas (Gulf of Chiriquí, Panama)
- Post Ranch Inn (Big Sur, California, USA)
- Ted Turner Reserves Vermejo (Raton, New Mexico, USA)
- The Brando (Tetiaroa, French Polynesia)
- The Ranch at Laguna Beach (Laguna Beach, California, USA)
- Three Camel Lodge (Gobi, Mongolia)
- Turtle Inn (Placencia, Belize)
- Wilderness Safaris Bisate Lodge (Volcanoes National Park, Rwanda)
- Wilderness Safaris DumaTau Camp (Linyanti Wildlife Reserve, Botswana)
- Wilderness Safaris Hoanib Skeleton Coast Camp (Kaokoveld, Namibia)
- Wilderness Safaris Linkwasha Camp (Hwange National Park, Zimbabwe)
- Wilderness Safaris Mombo Camp (Okavango Delta, Botswana)
- Xigera Safari Lodge (Okavango Delta, Botswana)