The Asia Pacific market looks set to get a boost in Indonesia over the next few years. Indonesia has a wealth of new projects in the pipeline and everything from big brands to boutique and apart hotels look set to land in this premium destination in the near future. We check out what’s in store.
Sights set on Southeast Asia
The popular southeast Asian destination of Indonesia is gearing up for a slew of new hotel openings over the course of this year and those to follow. In 2016, Indonesia received an incredible 12 million visitors, an increase of 15.5% from 2015. Indonesia’s wealth of natural and cultural attractions keep people coming back year after year, and this pattern only seems to be continuing. So it’s perhaps no wonder that hoteliers are banking on Indonesia as a solid destination in which to invest. In 2019, 2019, 2020 and in the years beyond, an estimated 124 hotel projects will open their doors to the public, bringing a total of 24,633 new hotel rooms to the islands. All of these new projects will be at the upper end of the scale, with 57% of them being categorised as luxury, while the remaining 43% will be of a first class standard.
Lifestyle and temporary accommodation brands in the lead
As the trend for lifestyle brands continues to grow, brands that offer longer-term accommodation are also being seen more, and Indonesia’s new projects will be no different. Some of the top brands that are going to be opening properties in Indonesia operate in both of these categories, catering to travelers who want to focus on experiential vacations and to immerse themselves in the local culture. This is what the three brands who are planning on opening the most venues in Indonesia offer. Citadines Apart’hotels, who will open four projects over the coming years, are geared towards travelers who want personalised conveniences in popular urban destinations, and their properties offer guests a quiet nook in big and bustling cities. Upper-midscale brand Mercure Hotels will open five projects in Indonesia, while the select-service hotel brand Aloft will follow suit with another five properties, providing visitors to Indonesia with both short and longer-term lodgings.
2018 and beyond
Out of the 124 projects proposed for Indonesia, 68 will open this year, which is sure to be a landmark year for the islands’ hospitality industry. This amounts to a whopping 55% of all proposed projects, while 2019 will see a dip, with the opening of just 25 projects during the course of the year. 2020 will see nine new hotels and in the following years a further 22 hotels will welcome guests across the Indonesian islands. The majority of the projects are currently under construction, with a small number in the pre-planning stages and about 20% in the pre-opening stages.
Let’s take a look at a few other projects currently underway in Indonesia:
More information on hotel projects in Indonesia can be found in the TOPHOTELPROJECTS database. TOPHOTELPROJECTS is the specialized service provider of cutting-edge information of the hospitality industry.