The Saudi Arabian city of Jeddah is set to experience a swathe of hotel construction in the coming years. We take a look inside the development pipeline for this popular Middle Eastern city.
Jeddah on the rise
Jeddah is a city in Saudi Arabia located on the coast of the Red Sea. Jeddah is one of Saudi Arabia’s most important resort cities, and it is known as being the gateway to Mecca, a pilgrimage site and the holiest place for people of the Islamic faith. Jeddah has long attracted visitors for its coastal setting which allows port and fishing cultures to thrive, making the city well known for its unique culinary offerings, of which seafood is a big highlight. Jeddah’s food scene is unparalleled in the rest of the country, and tourists are also drawn to the city for its perceived openness in what is often considered an extremely conservative country, especially by Western travelers. There are also over 1,300 mosques in the area, as well as a host of cultural buildings and some interesting public art from the 1970’s and 80’s proliferating in the city. Jeddah is known as having one of the largest open-air galleries in the world due to the installation of large-scale sculptures and installations in the public realm, mainly on the city’s many roundabouts.
Jeddah project pipeline
Over the next few years, Jeddah will see the opening of 37 hotel projects, bringing a total of 8,348 new guest rooms to the area. Nine of these will welcome guests before the end of the year, while 2019 will see a further 11 projects operational. In 2020, seven hotels will open their doors to the public, and in 2021 and beyond the remaining ten properties will offer accommodation to tourists traveling to the area. Jeddah is no doubt a solid bet in the Middle East, with Saudi Arabia never ceasing to bring people, whether for business or pleasure, into this fascinating region.
The split between the projects is fairly even along the lines of upscale hotels, with all of the hotels residing in top-tier categories of the hospitality industry. 51% of the projects, which equates to 19 hotels, will cater to guests wishing to stay in first class ranking hotels. The other 49%, or 18 hotels, will be in the luxury category, and the combined number will bring a large quantity of high-end hotels to Jeddah and the surrounding region. At the moment, 15 of the total project number are in the planning stages of development. Five are in the pre-planning stages, 12 projects are under construction and five are in the pre-opening stages.
Let’s take a look at a few other projects currently underway in Jeddah:
More information on hotel projects in Jeddah can be found in the TOPHOTELPROJECTS database. TOPHOTELPROJECTS is the specialized service provider of cutting-edge information of the hospitality industry.